Thursday, March 28, 2013

When they come back home to visit

My heart is so full right now....just from reading 2 sentences from my son.   He's on his way to the train station in NYC and he can't wait to see me.   He'll only be home for 4 days and we may even have a few one-on-one conversations before he goes to visit all his "peeps."  When did it come to this?  I am reminded by that wonderful song from "Fiddler on the Roof," - you know the one, "Sunrise, Sunset."   "Is this the little boy I carried.....?"  It seems like yesterday that they were all home, fighting to see who would sit next to me at the dinner table.    I never knew how good I had it then.   They were always within arm's reach, I could hold them close, feel their hearts beat, stroke their foreheads, pray with them, nurse them to health when they were sick.

Time stands still for no man, someone once said.  I am proud of my kids and it has been such a wonderful time watching them grow up and make their own decisions. 

Sometimes, though, the house is just a wee bit too quiet.  My husband and I enjoy our "freedom," but there's still that ache in my heart because I miss my kids.  

But one of them is about to board a train and come back into my arms...if only for a few days.   That's reason to rejoice!!!!

No comments: